At 11:45 PM on March 24th, 2016, I met the love of my life. The process to meet him was not what I had expected, but was worth every second.

Bay Area Newborn Photographer: Jenna Christina

At forty-two weeks and one day, I was prepared to get induced on March 24th. However, on March 23rd I was excited, but scared out of my mind when I started to experience contractions in the late evening.  After a phone call to Labor and Delivery and getting the okay to come in, my mom and I jumped into my car and headed out to Palo Alto in the middle of the night. Although I was having contractions, I was not progressing and was later induced with pitocin. My labor lasted for 24 hours…15 of those hours were unmedicated until I broke down in tears requesting an epidural. Six hours later, I was relaxed and dilated at a ten….then something horrible happened. Ten minutes into pushing, I was hit with a nasty migraine. I pushed for about an hour and a half with an oxygen tank, an ice pack over my eyes while throwing up in a bag trying not to pass out.

Labor pain > Migraine pain

With all the pushing, baby E made it clear that he did not want to come out and he was not positioned correctly resulting into an emergency c-section.

My entire birthing plan was thrown out the window as soon as I was admitted into the hospital and I lost my marbles over it. I wanted to have an unmedicated birth and felt like a failure when requesting the epidural…my mom had to talk me down from this crazy expectation I had over my head. But when the doctor mentioned c-section, my worst nightmare came true. I have never had surgery and I get very squeamish when it comes to blood….I can hardly watch Greys Anatomy without scrunching my face and flapping my hands. The surgery itself felt quick. I couldn’t stop shaking and was cold as ice during the whole process. As I waited to hear baby E’s cry, I suddenly felt enormous pressure on my stomach and then, I heard my baby’s sweet squeal.

“Nine pounds, 21 inches” stated the doctor. “Can I have my baby, can I have my baby” is all I kept saying to my mom who was in the room with me holding my shaky hand. I took the ice pack off from my face, looked down at my chest and saw my baby’s precious face.

Elliott Ethyn.

As soon as I saw him, the doctors immediately gave me medication for my migraine that completely knocked me out. A couple of hours later, I woke up and was able to function like a normal human being again.

Reflecting on the whole labor and delivery experience…it sucked that my birthing plan didn’t work out…but at least I can say I tried and got to experience various (and unpleasant) scenarios that showed me what I was made of. I feel so empowered and I STILL cannot wrap my head around the fact that I created and birthed Elliott….the feeling is indescribable to look at your child and see you in them.

Now, not to freak out the soon to be mother’s….but a week and a half later, my c-section incision got infected to the point where I couldn’t get out of bed, walk or go to the restroom. I was that one off case :/ I went to the ER where they reopened up my incision (eww, I know) and admitted me into the hospital for four days…(hospitals are the worst places to sleep in).

I am still on medication for this infection and currently have a nurse that comes to my house daily to pack/monitor my incision. I am hoping that by the end of this week my incision is completely closed…fingers crossed! With that being said…Elliott and I are doing great! This little boy is such a character! I cannot wait to share my journey of motherhood and hopefully once Elliott gets into a good routine, I will start blogging more and sharing snippets of him 🙂

Big thank you to my mom (God bless her), dad, brother, grandmother and close friends for all of the love and support! I seriously love you all! Oh, and Lucile Packard and Stanford, BEST nurses and doctors EVER!

Olivia Irene

Write A Comment